Learning to read starts with phonics: how sounds in words are written and how we say those sounds. The video clips below can help you support your child's reading progress.
- The first video shows how to pronounce the sounds correctly to aid easier reading.
- The second video shows how to blend those sounds into words.
Please do take a look.
If you would like to know more about phonics, watch the clip below. It lasts about 6 minutes and takes you through some of the vocabulary that we use with children to talk about words. For example:
- phoneme: the smallest unit of sound.
- grapheme: the letters used to make the phoneme.
- digraph: 2 letters making one sound. E.g. ch
- trigraph: 3 letters making one sound. E.g. igh